TheBumpWWGroup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Santa Fe Chicken Casserole - I made this up by accident! SO YUMMY!

Go down

Santa Fe Chicken Casserole - I made this up by accident!  SO YUMMY! Empty Santa Fe Chicken Casserole - I made this up by accident! SO YUMMY!

Post  Flowr4246 Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:30 am

I wasn't expecting to be home last night so I hadn't planned anything for dinner. My plans changed, so I called our nanny and asked her to pull some kind of meat out of our freezer so I could 'play' with it when I got home. She grabbed thin-sliced chicken breasts, so here's what I did. It was REALLY tasty!

Santa Fe Chicken Casserole (because every good recipe needs a name)
- 8 thin sliced boneless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup Santa Fe marinade (Wegman's brand - I'm sure any Southwestern type marinade would work though.)
- 2 large boil-in-bags brown rice, cooked in 1/2 cup vegetable broth and about 3 cups water (I only used the vegetable broth to get it out of my fridge; I'm sure all water would be fine.)
- 15.5 oz. can of black beans (not drained)
- 16 oz. can of diced tomatos (not drained)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt, garlic powder, cumin & chili powder to taste

Marinate the chicken breasts and set aside while you cook the rice according to the instructions on the package. In a large casserole dish, mix together the cooked rice, about 1/2 cup of the rice water, black beans, tomatoes and seasonings.

Add in the chicken breasts along with the marinade and fold the rice mixture over the meat. Add the shredded cheese and fold that in too.

Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Voila!

The chicken came out really moist and tender. I served it with a side of green beans, but it would've been totally fine on its own. This recipe is a definite keeper and it was a total 'fly by the seat of my pants' sort of thing. I put it through the WW Recipe Builder and it turned out to only be 6 points/serving (serves Cool.

Bon appetit!
Flowr4246
Flowr4246

Back to top Go down